• Publisher: Atlus
  • Release Date: Feb 5, 2019
6.7

1. Feb 9, 2019
    I like this game so much that I made an account to give it a positive review!

Having only gotten into the series recently (played a bit of EOU1) I'm not coming into Nexus as a veteran who has seen it all. It's definitely a bit tough starting out because: A) there are so many classes to choose from; I ended up making one of every class and switching around a few times before I found a
    I like this game so much that I made an account to give it a positive review!

A) there are so many classes to choose from; I ended up making one of every class and switching around a few times before I found a party I was happy with

B) The game is rather difficult and has a different pace than most JRPGs I'm used to. You don't need to endlessly grind low-level mobs; better to get to the point where you can take out a FOE miniboss or two and do runs into the jungle farming them (reminds me of Monster Hunter). That said, even regular mobs are pretty challenging. This game is definitely harder than EOU1 on a similar difficulty! (Or I'm just bad at teambuilding)

Some pros:

- Large class selection
    - Great deal of customization of looks, skills, etc.
    - Good aesthetics; beautiful 3D visuals and music
    - Satisfying gameplay loop
    - Mapping mechanic is fun and a great use of the dual screens
    - Battle mechanics are deep and interesting

Cons:

- The game throws a lot at you and assumes you're pretty familiar with the classes. Most other things are explained well though.
    - I feel like the battle interface could have used the touchscreen better, and I don't see an option to configure the auto-battle or re-organize skills, both of which would speed things up
    - Class selection, though large at 19, doesn't feel terrible balanced. It seems like 3/4 of the classes want to be on the front line.
    - Early game can be very difficult if you don't choose "default" classes like Medic and Protector who are simple to choose the correct skills, battle location and equipment for.

Overall, I'd highly recommend this game and it's my new obsession, but I caution you to try out a basic party setup or do a little research to avoid early-game frustration.

1. Mar 8, 2019
    All in all, Etrian Odyssey Nexus is a solid entry in the series. It doesn't reinvent the wheel but is sort of a grab bag of everything that makes Etrian Odyssey work. It's very familiar, and longtime series fans may find that this outing played it too safe, but casual fans and newcomers should consider it a near-perfect place to start the series. All in all, Nexus is a fantastic end to the long handheld history of the franchise, and it provides a lot of hope for whatever comes next.
  2. Feb 26, 2019
    Although I prefer Beyond the Myth by a slight margin, Etrian Odyssey Nexus offers a familiar and rewarding dungeon crawling adventure that retro RPG fans will surely appreciate. Now that the series is done on 3DS, here's hoping we can play the next one on Switch.
  3. Feb 26, 2019
    The vast array of options in Etrian Odyssey Nexus could easily scare away players who are unfamiliar with or who dislike RPGs, but Etrian Odyssey Nexus is welcoming to all skill levels and would be a great starting point for players new to dungeon-crawling RPGs. It’s also an enjoyable and fitting send-off as the series’ last installment on the 3DS.