6.4

1. Oct 19, 2018
    And here I am writing a review, scoring it above what I planed to seeing as some people scored it way to low, one even saying it uses the same engine as SCIV, little did I know that SCIV used unreal engine 4, well riddle me silly (sarcasm).
    This game is somewhere around 8 or 9 to be honest, with a few things dragging it down, so let me jump right into it.
    The good. The most important

The good.
    The most important thing, that being the combat, is great, that part is a clear 10 out of 10. It feels responsive and it is easy to get into with a dept there that will be fun to explore.
    The character customization is good, would have likes some more pieces of cloths but all in all it is better then Tekken 7 in this department.
    The Libra of souls has this far been way more fun then I thought it would be.

Hit or miss
    The visuals can be good or bad depending if you like the art-style or not, personally I do like it but I can see some people not liking it.

The bad.
    The way in which the story is presented feels cheap, Don't get me wrong here, I do enjoy stories told to still pictures as well, just that they could have had more pictures while showing the story. Often you are shown the same old picture with a picture of a character and some enemy. This is the weakest part of the game.
    The day one dlc. The character in that dlc fits better into the story then some of the character in the base roster. This easily avoided PR mess up is something they need to learn from

I get the feeling that Namco gave the devs very little money for this project, and as such they needed to focus on some things, thankfully they focused on the right thing. It is not a perfect game but it is at this moment the best 3D fighter on the current gen consoles.
  2. Oct 21, 2018
    Honestly I didn't expect it to be a good Soul Calibur. I played the heck out of SC3 back in the days and since then, haven't got any really good experience with any other fighting game.

SC6 is great , graphics are top tier, gameplay is awesome (I love fighting games but I can't stand learning over-complicated inputs and 15 hit air combos in order to win like in tekken) SC6 simplifies everything a lot so it's easier to get into the game, but still rewards practice, timing/anticipation and strategy. There is also quite some information included in the game, which teaches you how to play individual characters (what are the common moves, gameplay styles, what to use and when... etc)
    The new mode ''libra of soul'' is addictive and fun, the online works good as long as you playing with a host with good conection (I would say it stills missing some kind of tournament mode like Tekken)... The character creation is awesome, allowing you to be creative and design your own character or recreate other famous characters into the game.

As a CON I would say the game needs more stages and more characters (which we know will come in DLC's) I would give it a 9 if it wasn't because of that 30$ season pass for 3-4 extra characters that are not even released yet. SC falls really behind when it comes to quantity right now, specially compared to his main competitor Tekken 7.

For the rest i think it's a really solid game, haven't had this much fun in a fighting game for a long time.
  3. Oct 25, 2018
    I'm rating this based on unbiased view. I have played all SOULCALIBURS to date and well we tend to hold games up to there best versions which would be SOULCALIBUR II, but looking at the game at a normal person view let me tell you its a good game. The combat is crisp, fast, and fun. Reversal Edge is far from Rock, Paper. and Scissors you have many defensive option to counter this you canI'm rating this based on unbiased view. I have played all SOULCALIBURS to date and well we tend to hold games up to there best versions which would be SOULCALIBUR II, but looking at the game at a normal person view let me tell you its a good game. The combat is crisp, fast, and fun. Reversal Edge is far from Rock, Paper. and Scissors you have many defensive option to counter this you can even just block and stop it completely. Creation Character is fun and entertaining you can make any character you choose from any movie or game. story is not the best I will say, but it is very artistically pleasing and is a good time. Online feels smooth and lag is rarely a problem. Gallery is I nice add-on that I do appreciate. For the new player it is a great game to get into it is completely new user friendly. Libra Of Souls is a nice add-on as well and should be added in future SC game. Its a 9/10 and is a great game. Expand
  4. Dec 22, 2018
    This may not be saying much, but I believe Soulcalibur 6 to be the best in the series since at least 2005. While the presentation of the story may be very boring, at least it's all there in a very large quantity, with dozens of hours of playtime between Soul Chronicle and Libra of Soul. On top of that there's also the usual Arcade Mode, Online tournaments and a very extensive fighterThis may not be saying much, but I believe Soulcalibur 6 to be the best in the series since at least 2005. While the presentation of the story may be very boring, at least it's all there in a very large quantity, with dozens of hours of playtime between Soul Chronicle and Libra of Soul. On top of that there's also the usual Arcade Mode, Online tournaments and a very extensive fighter creation. The combat itself may be the most solid in the series to date. It's not a perfect game, but it's one of few fighting games I can say that is worth the money. Expand
  5. Dec 10, 2018
    Perhaps the best game in the series. Here the developers have pleased both old fans and those players who started playing since the sixth series. Bravo!!!
  6. Nov 19, 2018
    Reassuring resurrection of the Soul Calibur series, after the disaster that was V.
    This is an attempt to please most fans, while also securing itself from a financial disaster - With that said, there is room for improvement.
    I actually like that they are reusing assets from previous Soul games, the models are glorious, and Unreal 4 is a great engine. I'm a person who doesnt like big changes, but reversal edges and lethal hits are a nice addition, and they finally managed to make Critical Edge/Finishers bearable again
  7. Oct 20, 2018
    Generally having a great time playing this. Rough around the edges, sure, but brimming with passion, heart, quality and singelplayer content - which is a massive positive for the game as a whole. Solid online, decent Character Creator and a satisfying and interesting Museum mode which gives all you old-school Soulcalibur a fix.
    Gameplay is good nigh always, but is somewhat clunky.
  8. Oct 20, 2018
    Soul Calibur 6 is a wonderful return to form for the series. Veteran player of the series will find it shares most in common with the original Soul Calibur compared to the rest of the series in how it handles, but several new additions in terms of mechanics really spice up the gameplay. The roster looks conservative in size at first glance, but the characters are each completely unique.Soul Calibur 6 is a wonderful return to form for the series. Veteran player of the series will find it shares most in common with the original Soul Calibur compared to the rest of the series in how it handles, but several new additions in terms of mechanics really spice up the gameplay. The roster looks conservative in size at first glance, but the characters are each completely unique. The moves change based on positioning and stance that each character will cycle through as you perform different attacks, so there is a good bit to learn to maximize your strategy. There is a lot to do for single players, though the Libra of Souls mode is a little too long in the tooth with the text in-between battles. I haven't had any obvious lag when playing online and finding opponents so far has been quick. I also read in other reviews that the load times were between 30 seconds an a minute, but in the 8 hours I've played load times average at about 11 seconds on a base PS4. My favorite part about this game by far is how flipping fun it is. After spending about 30 minutes training with a character I can start to make them dance around the battlefield near effortlessly and the way the camera moves to really bring out the best angle during the action really lights my fire. There are other fighting games with better menus and more characters, and I love several of them, but Soul Calibur 6 is my favorite fighting game of all time. I'm docking one point because there aren't many stages, and Libra of Souls has some mediocre dialogue. It gets a 9 because despite that, when you're in an actual match, this game is absolutely glorious. Expand
  9. Oct 19, 2018
    SC6 comes back with great content, it is the best soul calibur, I love the critical edge and soul charge, it is an entertaining game and I love creating my own character.
    Totally recommended
  10. Oct 22, 2018
    Love this game to death! By far the most fun entry to the series! Balancing needs some tweaks but it overall feels pretty damn good! For Veterans they might need to get used to the new input mappings of some characters, since many moves where shuffled around to different inputs than before, but it is manageable and quickly feels natural.
    The Game is filled with content so that even
    The Game is filled with content so that even Singleplayers will get their money worth, which is not a given in Fighters these days, that focus more on the Core Gameplay and giving you barebones in content. You have a very, very long Single Player Mission Mode with Libra of Souls, where you create your own Character and fight yourself through the Story of this game, with lots of side missions and weapons to unlock. Yes, this mode is focusing a lot on the Story and thus there are walls of text to read through, but it is generally a interesting and good told Story at least, so it is worth checking out.
    There is a second Story Mode, Soul Chronicles, that focuses on the main Story of the returning Cast (and newcomers) that is well told and nice to play through. Yes, a lot of the cutscenes are only drawn and not animated, but they are fully voiced, and considering the low budget this game was produced with, it actually turned out to be pretty good!
    In terms of other Modes we have the Character Creation Mode, that lets you create up to 100 Characters of your own, as well as DOWNLOAD an additional 100 Characters created by other users. The latter is great, but some sorting options would have been nice. Fun Fact: You can Change the Character you download completely, from Race, to gender, to name etc. So technically, if you just download 100 Characters, you can all change them to your liking, which means you technically get 200 Slots for your own Creations! That is nice.
    We have an Arcade Mode to fight a series of CPU opponents in succession. We also get a versus Mode, and even this mode is a bit spice up. For settings we have the usual, 1PvsCPU, CPUvs1P, 1Pvs2P and CPUvsCPU, timer settings, and round settings, BUT we also now can add additional Rules, like disabling Ring Outs, having slippery ground that makes it hard to maneuver and more! And there is, of course, training mode. Sadly there are no Team vs or Survival Mode, but to me personally this is not a big loss, to many others might miss it.
    Online Mode is very stable and most matches feel pretty good on my regular PS4. Casual matches as well as ranked ones make a lot of fun! Finally we have a Museum with tons of unlockables, even from the older entrys including Soul Blade/Edge! Single Players definately can spend a lot of time in this game until they are done, especially completionists.
    Graphics are pretty good, and I don't understand many of the complaints of some people.

One Note to make: This Game has DAY1 DLC (In Form of the Character Tira), and a 30 €/$ Season Pass. The Season Pass consists of Tira, 3 more Characters that are not announced yet and 2 CAC Item Packages with around 50 Pieces each.

DLC Impact on the Game: Barely, you can totally play the game without additional Characters and Items, tough Tira was already in the other games before as a regular Character so it is a bit scummy that they lock her behind a paywall now.

So overall, this game is pretty damn great, and I can recommend it to singleplayers, Multiplayers, OnlinePlayers, newcomers and veterans alike!

Overall Score: 9/10
  11. Oct 19, 2018
    10 out of 10. Awesome designed characters and stages, incredible mechanics, cool new features. And on top of that breathtaking music.
  12. Oct 19, 2018
    Soul Calibur is back. At last! After four hours of the online game I can say — this is my favorite game for a few next years. Fast, flashy, bright. It is really AAA title. The perfect good base mechanics and interesting new features as like Reversal Edge, Soul Charge (new incarnation) makes the gameplay really fantastic! The roster contains 90% of the most popular characters of theSoul Calibur is back. At last! After four hours of the online game I can say — this is my favorite game for a few next years. Fast, flashy, bright. It is really AAA title. The perfect good base mechanics and interesting new features as like Reversal Edge, Soul Charge (new incarnation) makes the gameplay really fantastic! The roster contains 90% of the most popular characters of the franchise, the rest maybe will appear in future DLC's. And all of them are good-looking and attractive — everybody will find favorite characters for playing. Yes, the inputs are different and the dynamics are not the same as like SC5 or SC4. It is more similar SC2. I think the game is the really successful mix of old good things and some new ideas that make the game more interesting and impressive. I strongly recommend to play this game if you are a fan of previous games — you will be impressed and pleased very well. Expand
  13. Oct 20, 2018
    Its great.

You want more info than that? OK. Its really great. Seriously, this game is the business and represents something of a return to form for Namco after the mostly underwhelming SC5. Good news for Namco, as the last Soul Calibur didn't sell all that well. If there is any justice, this should sell. In terms of the fighting, SC6 is as brilliant as ever. In fact, the quality of
    Its great.

In terms of the fighting, SC6 is as brilliant as ever. In fact, the quality of the fighting has never really been the problem with Namco's beat 'em ups, it has been everything else around them. They have had a tendency to saddle otherwise top fighting games with terrible game modes and a distinct lack of single player content. SC5 isn't the only example; Soul Calibur Broken Destiny, Tekken Prime, even JoJo's Bizarre Adventure on the PS3 suffered from this. Not SC6 I'm pleased to say. As soon as you see the main menu, there is plenty there. A main story mode (harking back to the style of SC2), a story mode for each character, Battle Mode (which contains among other things, a proper Arcade mode) and, of course, online play.

The main story mode involves a quest carried out by a user-designed fighter. You have relatively limited options for customisation initially but don't worry, there is more to come. There is also a far more substantial character design/customisation mode to create fighters to use in the other modes, including online. The arcade mode is good, not that hard on the default settings, but there are no individual character endings - that is what the second story mode is for.

The fighting is superb. Soul Calibur has always been one of the flashiest fighters and this is even more so. Top graphics, great animation and effects, better sound (the fighters interact more) and new play features. These new features include the Reversal Edge, which causes a clash between fighters, resolved by a kind of rock/paper/ scissors game. You can also do the Critical Edge, as in SC5, but now you can also use this energy to power your combatant and get access to new moves, and even a different, fantastic-looking Critical Edge! These really have to be seen for yourself and I was as impressed as when I played the original Soul Calibur back on the Dreamcast. Good news continues in that most of the old favourite fighters return and the new, pointless characters from SC5 have been dumped.

Then there is online. I didn't get the time to try this out as even I have to sleep, but assuming this is like the beta, it should be great. I had very little lag in the network test, none at all in a fight with a player in Japan! That is pretty impressive in any game, particularly a beat 'em up.

So, what else is there to say but buy this game. I feel that SC6 is a stunner, surpassing Tekken 7 in most aspects, especially in terms of single player content, and is a must-buy for any serious fight fan, yet accessible for even the greenest noob.
  14. Oct 19, 2018
    Soul Calibur 6 is amazing, has good graphics, good soundtrack, has 2 story mode, its gameplay is incredible and very fun, it has very nice stages as it has always been characterized, the classic characters come back, it is a game with a lot of content ,I love Soul Calibur 6 .
  15. Oct 21, 2018
    I'm gonna keep this short and simple. SoulCalibur VI offers custom character creation, a nice variety of game modes including CPU vs CPU, good music, and the game runs great. The character creation is in depth and offer lots of different ways to customize and create your characters. There is also in-game currency for buying equipment in character creation, I really like this. The loadingI'm gonna keep this short and simple. SoulCalibur VI offers custom character creation, a nice variety of game modes including CPU vs CPU, good music, and the game runs great. The character creation is in depth and offer lots of different ways to customize and create your characters. There is also in-game currency for buying equipment in character creation, I really like this. The loading times are great, the scenery and character graphics are beautiful, and controls feel smooth as silk. SoulCalibur VI easily deserves 10/10! Do yourself the favor and get the game! Expand
  16. Oct 21, 2018
    Soul Calibur 6 regresa con todo es impresionante, su nueva mecánica reversal edge es interesante la verdad me gusta mucho es entretenida al igual que los critical edge de cada personaje son tan cinemáticos y coloridos , el soul charge es muy agradable donde obtienes nuevas habilidades por un tiempo limitado , el combate se siente muy fluido , tiene buena banda sonora y hermosos escenariosSoul Calibur 6 regresa con todo es impresionante, su nueva mecánica reversal edge es interesante la verdad me gusta mucho es entretenida al igual que los critical edge de cada personaje son tan cinemáticos y coloridos , el soul charge es muy agradable donde obtienes nuevas habilidades por un tiempo limitado , el combate se siente muy fluido , tiene buena banda sonora y hermosos escenarios para luchar como siempre se a caracterizado en esta saga eso si el juego necesita mas escenarios lo cual se puede agregar en el futuro , los personajes clásicos regresan ya que los fans no estaba satisfechos con los reemplazos en SCV , trae un buen contenido como el modo arcade y entrenamiento y sobretodo los 2 modos historia : el primero libra of souls ahi puedes crear tu propio personaje enfrentando muchas batallas ganando recompensas es muy entrenido y el segundo el Soul Chronicle en donde se desarolla la historia principal con Kilik y aparte las historias de cada personaje con muy bonitas ilustraciones , el modo creación de personaje es increíble se puede hacer creaciones de todo como spawn , 2B , pikachu , kratos , etc eso depende de la imaginación y creatividad de cada persona, un buen modo en linea muy estable , sin duda es un gran juego espere mucho por un nuevo SC y al fin lo tengo me trae mucho recuerdos sin duda este juego merece una oportunidad totalmente recomendado. Expand
  17. Oct 21, 2018
    A return to form for one of the best FG's there ever was, SC 1.

A return to form for one of the best FG's there ever was, SC 1.

SCV almost killed the series, so much so only the resurgence of fighting games on the back of the esports wave seems to have revived the series. Thankfully they listened. Core characters people love are back, instead of being replaced by new characters for "story". Sorry but story is not why people pick up a fighting game, the story serves the game, not the game the story, and there's many ways to tell a story that doesn't mean cutting core characters from the game.

You only need to look at Marvel Vs Capcom Infinite and SCV to see how not including core characters to a franchise will make the game flop, MVCI was dead before it even hit release day. Even SF3 Third Strike was hated a long time, in part because of this, and only daigo's moment at a fighting tournament and lack of any SF games for a long period of time and the fact it still had Ryu and Chung-Li at least saved it. But in SCV they decided to basically cut one of the most iconic characters, and in SC2 some core characters were not playable in arcade versions. None of this served the series well at all I know I personally was far less invested in every SC past the first one because of this.

The core gameplay is preserved in this game, unlike in SCV where movement speed was very poor forcing people to stand and block rather than use movement as much to avoid attacks, spending less time in control of your character and with less options as a result. Well movement speed is back in SCVI so again they listened.

Many system mechanics in SCV were also terrible. Guard impact a staple of the series for example required critical gauge and was very unpopular as a result. Guard impact is restored to an any time usable ability and other broken mechanics like just guard were removed. So they fixed this also.

So they learned from mistakes of SCV. Let's hope that they keep them in mind and never repeat mistakes they made progressively worse in 2, 3, 4 and 5 (2 for example sophitia wasn't even playable in the arcades and they started moving toward a more cartoony look). 6 has kept some things along the way from these prior series, which love them or hate them, they are on top of a really solid game and don't do a lot to interfere and were at least improved upon from prior games. The soul still burns, and basing the game off SC 1, which was the highest rated game for the dreamcast and still is on metacritic, was always what they should have done. If they want to get rid of core characters or totally change game mechanics, they should do us all a favor and just make another franchise, rather than nearly killing one we all already love.

So well done Bandai Namco, you did it, this game is amazing. I have missed meals, I have missed sleep and day turns to night and I barely notice it's that entrancing. Please never again replace core characters or move speed or mechanics and please never make the game 2nd fiddle to a story for a fighting game. SC1 did the story very well even though there was very little of it, you had flavor and endings for each character, in about a paragraph of text but they hit all the right notes and were thematic. People might demand more these days but really, it was fantastic for what it was, serving as a launching pad for the world, characters and game. When the formula is well made and well loved, moderation is a good policy for iteration. I'm just very thankful for this game, even though I feel I have been waiting nearly 20 years for it to get it as right as the first SC.
  18. Oct 22, 2018
    I wanted to write a review that was a sparkling one but I can't. There is a lot of good to be found in Soulcalibur, but there's also a lot of garbage that should have been pruned out before it made it's way back to consoles, and much of it is there due to "Nostalgia."

Let me get the worst part out of the way: the story and acting are bad and not "fighting game" bad, because that's not true at all. Mortal Kombat, Injustice, hell even the story from Smash was good so that it can be done. What passes for a narrative here is just a "retelling" (ETERNALLY RETOLD!) of the same thing Bandai Namco put out, just a bit cleaner this time. It's still terrible, and the unacceptable delivery of lines from actors is just soul-cringingly bad. And I know it was left like this on purpose because god forbid to do something that corrects past mistakes; Nah, that just means to you ruining our childhoods (you're not). It destroys most of the game, but it's a fighting game so it can be overlooked?

Well, as it stands right now, the fighting is really out of balance in particular when dealing with the A.I. I can't tell you how many times I've found myself being beaten to the button press by A.I for an entire fight. That isn't the strategy by the A.I, that's reading my presses and cheesing the fight. I've seen the A.I match me step-to-step for a good 30 seconds as I try and dance around the opponent looking for a place to strike. I've watched as every attack animation for almost entire health bar be interrupted by the A.I giving me zero chance even to stand up properly. The A.I also likes to sprint to the ring edges often, sit there and then knock you out. And when I say they sprint I mean they just rubber band to the closest edge and stand there waiting for you to close the gap and mirrors your sidesteps so to keep you on the side that will eventually knock you out of the ring.

Create a character is alright. As a fighting game option, yea it's probably the best; but then ask yourselves just what that entails? It's not that big of a space and what you get is competent, just not the earthshattering thing people make it out to be.

Combat is fun if stilted a bit. Everyone has their tastes so I won't go on about who and why I think this one or that one is better. It is refreshing though there is a fighting game out that isn't relying on FoA and stupid air juggles (because why is any of that a thing at all?) to be the backbone of combat. The 3D plane is utilized well as it always has with SC and SC6 is the best at this to date. It's not about how many hits you can string together, but where to place the strike and when to.

Music is excellent but gets ignored fairly quickly. Visuals and art style are the common-fare for the series, but the color palette (and graphics) are a bit washed out. I'm playing this on a 4k screen with HDR enabled (though SC6 does not currently support HDR as of this writing) and textures are muddy. I never have any framerate problems (on a ps4 pro) and any tearing. I don't doubt there will be an improvement over time, but right now it's a tad subpar (not a deal breaker).

I've always enjoyed SC, I'd even consider it my favorite fighter, and I'm going to enjoy my time with it. I just wish they'd only improve the total package as a whole instead of holding on to past tropes and art style directions because of nostaliga. Worth the purchace, you'll enjoy the experience.
  19. Oct 23, 2018
    They don't make many games like this anymore. Polished, beautiful, amazing controls, deep mechanics, and filled with tons of content, this game carries on what Soulcalibur does best while also adding new features like three new characters, new stages, new story modes that although lack many cutscenes have interesting dialogue, and reversal edge that keeps every match interesting. Hell theThey don't make many games like this anymore. Polished, beautiful, amazing controls, deep mechanics, and filled with tons of content, this game carries on what Soulcalibur does best while also adding new features like three new characters, new stages, new story modes that although lack many cutscenes have interesting dialogue, and reversal edge that keeps every match interesting. Hell the character creation mode alone makes this game a must buy and the fact that u can play as that character online is amazing. Hopefully Bandai Namco continues to support this franchise as its moving in the right direction after SC5. Expand
  20. Nov 6, 2018
    This is the first time I feel compelled to write a review because I was hyped for this game for so long. I loved Soulcalibur V and spent countless hours in the character creator and playing online. SC 5's character creator felt like a solid improvement over SC 4 and I couldn't wait to see what SC 6 had to offer. Imagine my disappointment when close to half (if not more) of all of theThis is the first time I feel compelled to write a review because I was hyped for this game for so long. I loved Soulcalibur V and spent countless hours in the character creator and playing online. SC 5's character creator felt like a solid improvement over SC 4 and I couldn't wait to see what SC 6 had to offer. Imagine my disappointment when close to half (if not more) of all of the assets had been re-used from SC 5 and even SC 4. Same faces, same hair, same armor, same stickers, same voices, same backgrounds, etc. To make things worse, some of the controls in the creator had been made even more frustrating - notably, placing stickers was even more janky and the placement method sometimes didn't even seem to function properly. The camera controls when taking your character's pictures also felt clunky and more complicated than necessary when constantly clicking in and out of a menu just to move your frame around. The clothing options in SC 6 felt bare bones with the rumor that most of the content will be locked behind the season pass. There is nothing to unlock - it's all planned as DLC - which killed my motivation to progress through anything. The one good addition to the creator was the "race selector", which lets you pick at the start between a human, lizardman, etc at the start, but it's really only good to dress up lizardman because the rest of the options are all various humanoids including 3-4 variations of malfested (i.e. guy with red eyes, but greyer skin this time!!) Almost anything that a person could make in SC 6 could easily be made in SC 5, and SC 5 could do it better.

The other positive is the addition of two new 1-player story modes which people have been asking for for years. A common complaint about SC 5 was too much of the focus on new characters and the fact that it was lazily cobbled-together with rough storyboard sketches instead of real cinematics. Libra of Souls, while still better than SC 5's story mode, noticeably uses more of these rough sketches as their backgrounds in-between battles, and whether this was intentional for the aesthetic of it or another result of rushed development I couldn't say. I have not had a chance to play much of the other story mode yet, but it focuses on the story of all of the original characters which I appreciate. I definitely missed a few characters that were left out in SC 5. Geralt is a great new addition as well.

This isn't a BAD game. It's still my favorite fighting game series and easy to pick up and play with friends or online. If you have not played Soulcalibur 5, you will enjoy this character creator and will go absolutely nuts with it. If you have sunk many hours into SC 5, you will feel disappointed that you're essentially buying the exact same thing again with even less content. My main complaint is that for a game in development for what must have been close to 6 years, this feels like a lazy sequel that reuses all the assets from the previous 2 Soulcalibur games. Wait till the price drops before buying this one.
  21. Nov 10, 2018
    As a newcomer to the franchise, I enjoyed my time with Soulcalibur VI. The thing is, I think the thing I enjoyed the most was the awesome character creator, because if you don't memorize the insane fighting game combo lists thrown at you from the very beginning, you aren't going to have much of a chance online. If you can ignore the high point of entry and really devote your time toAs a newcomer to the franchise, I enjoyed my time with Soulcalibur VI. The thing is, I think the thing I enjoyed the most was the awesome character creator, because if you don't memorize the insane fighting game combo lists thrown at you from the very beginning, you aren't going to have much of a chance online. If you can ignore the high point of entry and really devote your time to learning the game's mechanics, you'll have a great time here, if only for making your dudes play dress-up. If not, you might want to look into other options. Expand
  22. Oct 27, 2018
    Pros:
    - Game looks good, character designs are awesomes, stages look neat
    - Abundance of singleplayer content (Libra rocks)
    - Solid Online
    - Nice CAS
    - MUSEUM MODE IS BACK BABY
    - Music is awesome
    - Most importantly, gameplay is sick; smooth and slick, just how SC should be.
    - Talim's back!

10/10 instabuy for me
  23. Oct 26, 2018
    So much fun. Haven’t played a solid fighting game in ages, I hate that side scroller style of pressing back to block.

Overall, the first day I was irritated because I hadn’t played since SC2 and sucked. I even left a “7” review here with constructive criticism. But then I just got sucked in and have been having way too much fun. Being able to fully customize your own characters, then train with them endlessly to master cool new combos you can then use in ranked matches is awesome. Ranked matches queue up directly from training so you never have to wait for a “finding opponent” screen.

For comparison I was playing blackout battle royale simultaneously. In that game you get a “rush” for about 3 minutes when you land to collect gear, and then a boring tedious 20 minutes of travel until 5 minutes of adrenaline at the end. With SC6 , it’s an Instant shot of adrenaline every time. Unlike dbzfighter where you can get pinned against the edge of the map and combod to death, there is a lot more trading back and forth and strategy here with the new mechanics, which always give you an opportunity to take back the fight. So stressful in the best way, and makes you want to learn those killer strategic moves that much more!

Between being able to customize characters, and it taking dozens of hours to master a single one there is so much content here. I bought at launch and in less than a week I can say that if I stopped playing now it would already be worth the money.
  24. Jan 4, 2019
    Why the SoulCalibur franchise is so often overlooked by fighting game veterans and rookies alike is something I will never understand - and if anything can prove the worth of the series, it's this game right here.

The fighting mechanics are as solid as they've ever been, and the game feels smooth as butter. It retains that "easy to learn, hard to master" feeling, which ropes new players in and keeps the old ones engaged. The roster is fairly small, but each character feels incredibly distinct, and it's always rewarding to try new ones out instead of forcing yourself to stick with a "main". There are bad characters, sure, but you'll find yourself itching to play as them as well, even if it's just out of curiosity.

If none of the character designs appeal to you, you're more than welcome to build your own from scratch - The infamous character customizer, Create A Soul, is back, and the possibilities are endless. Whether you're trying to put together an original fighter or your favorite cereal mascot, you have more than enough tools at your disposal to do so. What's better is that all of your creations are permitted in online matches (even ranked ones) so no one's stopping you from taking on the world as the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man.

Just in case you needed icing on that wedding cake, the game contains two single player modes - Soul Chronicle, which follows the sometimes thrilling, sometimes mind-numbing lives of the main cast, and Libra of Soul, in which you bring a custom character on an RPG-esque adventure, taking place after Chronicle. The two modes are far from perfect, and both lack in the presentation department, but c'mon... You're not here for the narrative, are you?

All in all, SoulCalibur VI is one of the most impressive, finely-crafted fighting games on the market right now, and if it looks the slightest bit interesting to you, I'm sure you'll have a blast with it. If you're new to fighting games, start with Libra, as it's the only mode in the game with a tutorial. If you're an experienced soul, don't be afraid to build an abomination and start pummeling people online right out of the gate - It's tough to have more fun than that in a video game.
  25. Nov 16, 2018
    Soul Calibur 6 is as as good as Soul Calibur 1 and 2, which are tied with Tekken 3 for the best fighting games ever made. The games controls and complex movesets are flawless in the way only Namco can achieve, and the single player offerings add more content for those who enjoy that type of thing. But candidly, fighting games have always been about the pvp expereince dating back to theSoul Calibur 6 is as as good as Soul Calibur 1 and 2, which are tied with Tekken 3 for the best fighting games ever made. The games controls and complex movesets are flawless in the way only Namco can achieve, and the single player offerings add more content for those who enjoy that type of thing. But candidly, fighting games have always been about the pvp expereince dating back to the arcades. And in this regard SC6 is one of the greatest games ever made. The negative reviews it has received from users on this site say more about the users than they do the game. Many years ago gamers had the patience to practice hard fighting games like Tekken and Soul Calibur and learn to become proficient. Nowadays these games are way too hard for most young gamers who want the instant gratification of easy games, or games that provide a robust online social experience with little actual gaming involved. But if you fancy the best gameplay ever developed and consider yourself up for a challenge (and I'm not talking a Dark Souls challenge, I mean a real, 1990s competitive arcade style challenge) then considering buying SC6. Whether the sales or reviews reflect it or not, it was the best game of 2018. Expand
  26. Jan 14, 2019
    This is probably the best SoulCalibur to date, especially the custom character story mode too which is a nice touch to the game. The combat is smooth and basic which is nice to some people but I know there are people out there that prefers a more advanced combat style game.
    The game is definitely fun though and I wouldn't mind coming back to it from time-to-time. It is far from perfect but it is a great game overall
  27. Oct 29, 2018
    I love SC6. This brings me back to my SC1 on dreamcast. It has all the old characters and moves I would expect from SC. Online is a bit cheap but still think everything is nicely polished in this release.
  28. k89
    Nov 10, 2018
    Its nice to have a new Soulcalibur game, however a few flaw presents.
    The roster is still a bit empty, though more will come in DLC i guess? No Setsuka, Cassandra n a few more to mention.
    The outfits in the character creation is so limited compared to SC5, SC4 & SC3. The Libra of Soul mission is one **** thing because of the difficulty it is set and it also a bit grindy. SP reward is
    Its nice to have a new Soulcalibur game, however a few flaw presents.
    The outfits in the character creation is so limited compared to SC5, SC4 & SC3.
    SP reward is so little. The cut-scene in the main mission is very poor a long with the poor dialogue between characters, it feels awkward n robotic.
  29. Nov 6, 2018
    Writing a review for one of my favorite games.

As a competitive veteran to the Soul Calibur series, I have to say, this is one of the best in the series yet. This game on the fighting scale prowess is easily an 8 or 9. The Good: - The overall game play system is fantastic. They did a phenomenal job with it. No character feels like they're the worst. That's hard to do with 20+
    Writing a review for one of my favorite games.

The Good:

- The overall game play system is fantastic. They did a phenomenal job with it. No character feels like they're the worst. That's hard to do with 20+ characters.
    - Custom creation is amazing. Although i'm not one to have dabbled with SC's custom creation over -the years, I'd say this is the best iteration of it yet.
    - Visually, it's great. Do not expect to get God of War graphics. This is a fighting game.

The Bad:

- So unfortunately, I did find the elephant in the room in this game. The story telling. While this is a fighting game more than a story driven game, the way they went about it was just awful. Using gif images with a wallpaper backdrop and narrative to tell the story, is horrible. I was first introduced to something like this with Blazblue. It wasn't good then, and it isn't good now. I'm sure they had budget restraints considering they had to beg the higher ups to get this game made. Which is why this doesn't bother me as much as it should.

Overall:

- I think this game is 100% worth the purchase. I highly recommend this to anyone who is interested in fighting games. As well to anyone looking to get into fighting games. This game does have a little learning curve, but easy to get into. The game was resurrected to it's full glory. Enjoy it and hope we get a sequel worthy of this title again.
  30. Oct 28, 2018
    Soul Calibur Vl is the tale of souls and swords eternally retold... I think that is how it goes. Regardless Soul Calibur is back and unlike the fifth one this one is actually a lot of fun. Now if you are into fighting games that is, because believe me if you are into story then this game is definitely not going to be your thing.

They have two different story modes in Soul Calibur Vl.

They have two different story modes in Soul Calibur Vl. The first is this "adventure like RPGish mode" where you play your created character and make choices that are good or evil. The whole thing is terribly boring that I honestly couldn't tell you many details on that story. All I can say is I'd rather play as Nightmare then my created **** The second story mode takes you through the actual story of the Soul Calibur series. You play through that and each character to get sorta the whole picture. I do mean sort of because instead of cut scenes in between the fighting they have still pictures of the characters "reacting" to things. It can be hard to figure out what is going on sometimes while this is going on. Don't get me wrong while the story is kind of **** on a stick I still did find the backstory to the character rather fascinating. Regardless Namco could learn from Netherrealm on how to do a fighting game story.

I know what you're thinking who cares about the story how does it play? It may be something I never noticed before, but Soul Calibur is a fighting game for people who may not be great at fighting games. I don't mean that as a slight against the game at all it was just very simple in how to do moves and special moves. If there was a scale Soul Calibur would be for beginners, Mortal Kombat in the middle, while Street Fighter for the insane combo busters out there. Every character played unique and it is worth trying them all out. My actual complaint of the game would be that it felt a bit unbalanced with some character being completely worthless while others being overpowered monsters. Nightmare in my opinion felt like if you want an easy win to piss off your friends you pick him. The online aspect wasn't bad, but you can get away with spamming like no other and the opponent just has to take it. It also was way laggier than any online experience should be which knocks it down a lot for me.

Overall if you like the series this is one of the best in it. If you are a die hard fighting game fan this might be something to avoid because people with less skill can easily destroy someone who knows what they're doing. It is great for couch vs in the aspect that anyone can pick up and play. The story mode is basically garbage with few redeeming qualities to it. I did end up having a fun time with this game and could only recommend that if you are interested in this game just wait for a discount price because full price might be a little much for what you get. I give it a BARGAIN BIN.
  31. Oct 22, 2018
    Qu’on-ce le dise je ne l’achèterais pas.
    Certains me demanderons sans doute pourquoi ? D’autant que la série Soul Calibur est ma licence de jeux de combat préféré. Et bien cet acte est motivé par un désir de montrer aux éditeurs de jeux de combat qu’il serait temps d’arrêter de nous prendre pour des poires (et je reste polie).
    J’ai rejoué pas plus tard qu’hier au premier Soul Calibur sur
    Qu’on-ce le dise je ne l’achèterais pas.
    J’ai rejoué pas plus tard qu’hier au premier Soul Calibur sur Dreamcast et qu’elle ne fut pas ma surprise de voir déjà dans le roster du jeu 18 personnages … ce jeu étant sortie pour rappel en 98 sur arcade et 99 sur console …
    Donc pour faire un petit résumé en 20 ans de jeux de combats, la licence n’aura réussi qu’à ajouter 3 personnages jouable pour le jeu de base alors que le premier en avait déjà 18.
    Sachant que si vous voulez bénéficier de TOUS Soul Calibur 6 il vous faudra débourser la petite somme de 90 pour accéder au season pass, à 3 personnages jouable supplémentaire d’entrée de jeu (qui sont donc absent lorsque vous payer 60/70€ mais qui ont bien été fait pour la sortie) + Tira qui n’est pas dans le roster de base et dispo en DLC pour la petite somme de 5€ …
    Voilà le prix d’un jeu de combat aujourd’hui. Sachant que la chose était pareil pour Mortal Kombat X, pour Tekken 7 et Dragon Ball Fighter Z.
    Il faut également souligner que les personnages qui existe tous (à par 3/4 persos max) depuis le début ont les mêmes attaques, les mêmes techniques et plus ou moins les mêmes enchaînements depuis 1998.
    Sachant qu’il n’y a quasi aucun réel gap technique ou graphique entre le 6 et le 5, que l’absence du season pass vous privera d’une partie du solo (vue que chaque perso à sa trame narrative à lui), que le contenu solo est d’ailleurs moins fourni que Soul Calibur 2 et 3 et que l’une des meilleures raisons de faire le solo de ces jeux (débloquer les personnages) n’est donc même plus disponible vue que là vous les débloquer grâce à votre carte bleue.
  32. Oct 24, 2018
    Rock-Paper-Scissors QTE in Soulcalibur! Not. A. Good. Idea. Thanks, but NO.
    OST is meh. Graphics are not bad, but not great
  33. Oct 19, 2018
    WHY is this considered an AAA title again? Don't get me wrong, the game play fundamentals are good while the combat feels rewarding and fun. But that's it. This game is simply a pale shadow of what a Soulcalibur should be. The game lacks in most departments regarding QUALITY.

*Small roster size for 2018 with many fan favorite characters that should have been in the game missing *day 1

*day 1 DLC that most probably have been ripped out of the game te be sold separately.

*too few stages. Every character used to have each one stage in previous games. Not anymore.
    *Some of the stages feel very blunt and impersonal (eg: the desert stage). I miss some of the old animated stages

*character creation is very bad: too few customization options, no cloth psychics or scaling and lots of clipping.
    *Too many assets were ported from SC V, especially items for character creation. Nevertheless, some high quality SC V assets are missing from character creation despite the high demand for those.

*no voice acting for important parts of the game (both story and CaS)
    *no full cinematic experience in story and/or Libra

*the online system uses delay based netcode that makes it almost impossible to play the game with people in other regions of the world.
    *lot.s of input lag on PS 4 version (over 5 frames).
    *bad input buffering system (you will do things you don't actually want, because of this system)
    *Cas is allowed in ranked creating tons of problems due to different frame data and hit boxes

This game has a very low production value and simply doesn't meet quality standards for a top title.
  34. Oct 22, 2018
    Multiplayer delay sucks even on a "good" connection between players. The game feels dated. I wouldn't recommend throwing your hard earned money into this dumpster fire.
  35. Oct 29, 2018
    im giving this game 4 purely for the final boss in the story mode(create character one) the difficulty spike is more like a wall. the rest of the game the difficulty wasn't to bad. it was more so gradual with some angering missions. but nothing crazy. this boss though completely ruined my experience of this game. its the most cheap asinine bulls**t boss in all of soul calibur. and soulim giving this game 4 purely for the final boss in the story mode(create character one) the difficulty spike is more like a wall. the rest of the game the difficulty wasn't to bad. it was more so gradual with some angering missions. but nothing crazy. this boss though completely ruined my experience of this game. its the most cheap asinine bulls**t boss in all of soul calibur. and soul caliburs 5 boss was pretty bad. it ruined my enjoyment of the game. Expand
  36. Oct 21, 2018
    War never changes. SoulCalibur never changes.
    What has changed from the first part of SoulCalibur to Dreamcast? Added Rage system, added character creation, replaced textures with "modern".
    The quality of the hair is the same as in the first part, the arenas are as empty and the same square / round / ... as in the first part. That SoulCalibur was beautiful, cool, modern. This ... you
    War never changes. SoulCalibur never changes.
    That SoulCalibur was beautiful, cool, modern. This ... you can not change the number of battles???!!! Are you serious Namco???!!!
    Well, stupid system rage.

The creator of Dead or alive immediately said that his game was also about girls. But for some reason he has new characters, new styles, multi-tiered arenas, arena-filling (animals, people, tanks, ...).

SoulCalibur 6 is born dead. It will play a few months on the network and forget.
  37. Oct 20, 2018
    Each of the single player modes have meaningless stories buried in text. Can barely get one fight in without having to read countless pages of silly, melodramatic stories that play out like a cheap Japanese graphic novel. The graphics are clearly not up to this generation's level. No physics on clothing etc.
  38. Oct 19, 2018
    Soul Calibur back to their roots after a long break. Soul Calibur V was a disaster in terms every aspect, so did Soul Calibur 6 manage to revive it’s own glory and offer to the players some good action ? Absolutely no. Soul Calibur 6 is yet another failure in a long-term falling of the franchise.

SC VI coming with 21 characters. This is not bad but not the best either. The roster including entire “original Soul Calibur cast” only that except Lizardman, Edgemaster and Rock. There are two new characters that added to the party: Azwel and Groh. And this time, Geralt from “Witcher” is our new guest character (i think he’s the best guest character ever come to the SC universe). Most of the veteran characters (such as; Cervantes, Taki, Ivy, Raphael, Siegfried etc.) came back to the game but there should’ve been more characters. Well, at least the current roster is enough and i don’t know if they will add more with future updates.

Gameplay not changed much but unfortunately not evolved well. Simply, not so great whatsoever. New mechanic; “Reversal Edge” is nothing but killing the vibe in whole game. The game is stopping over and over due to animations and left the game less attractive. The original concept of the Soul Calibur was lying on the free will yet mastering on the set-ups while requiring real muscle memory skills. New mechanics just killing this mastery and the pure gameplay of the SC. “Guard Crush”, “Critical Edge” and “Soul Charge” are also existing in the game.

New story mode; “Soul Chronicle”, where it contains interactive cutscenes and telling the main plot of the game. “Libra of Soul” mode is somewhat “mission mode” from the original SC game (but not as good as that). Character Creation mode (yes, it’s still exist…again), Arcade, Training, Versus and Online modes are featured in the pack as usual.

If we take a look at the overall visuals, can’t say the game is exceed the expectations. The core graphics still using the old engine that used for SC IV in 2008. Just like in “Tekken 7”, SC VI graphics are outdated as hell. The game is built on old structure, not from the scratch. The main art direction is too cartoony and way behind from the other current fighting titles. Stages are acceptable in general but still have no idea what that “blurry” filter is for, it’s meaningless seriously... Overused flashy effects not for everyone, i missed the old SCs so much. An upcoming title; “Dead Or Alive 6” is a prime example of how a 3D game should be and not to mention SC VI is failed so much comparing to DOA 6. One can clearly say that is not belong to the current gen.

Verdict…well SC VI may have good appeal on some basis but certainly not a single masterpiece or take back the glory that franchise had lost long ago. If you ok with any 3D fighting game or fan of “Souls game”, then you can buy and enjoy it or else, wait for DOA 6 which is coming in this winter. Play on.
  39. Oct 22, 2018
    Soulcalibur 6 – Summary: Too flashy & gimmicky. Nowhere near as well refined, clean, balanced, or well produced as Soul Calibur 2 or 3. Control issues, tedious menu navigation, glitchy & dull customization, long loading times.

Critical Problems that need immediate fixing: -Control Customization - Fix Needed: Allow mapping of a single button (A/B/K/G) to more than 1 button on the

Critical Problems that need immediate fixing:
    -Control Customization - Fix Needed: Allow mapping of a single button (A/B/K/G) to more than 1 button on the controller. For example, allow “G” to be mapped to both “Left Trigger” AND the “A” button on an Xbox controller. (This was possible on Sega Dreamcast & Xbox for Soul Calibur 1,2,3 etc). Not having this available is crippling!
    -Graphics Options Needed: Please make a setting to reduce or remove the special effects from some or all attacks. They are far too bright and shiny, and they make it extremely difficult to see what is happening. I would much rather see the location of my weapon and the stance of my foe than a bunch of fake lights & colors. I understand why unblockable attacks have flames and special effects, but every single attack glowing and zapping is just too much. It also makes it harder to tell “special” attacks from “normal” attacks. This option would also be very beneficial for epileptic players.

Expanded Review: The game has been dumbed down and is clearly intended to be “noob fancy.” A new player can smash a lot of buttons, make crazy flames and lightning shoot out of their blade, and have their character do wacky flips and spins that may even harm their opponent. However, this actually deteriorates the overall play quality, as actually figuring out what is going on is nearly impossible. The “reversal edge” mechanic just slows down gameplay with a fancy slo-mo sequence, but punishes players who actually know moves and combos by trapping them in a “rock-paper-scissor” scenario. The same is true for the “soul charge” attacks, which are flashy yet pointless.
    -Just because something is bright and colorful or “cool looking” does not mean it is good for gameplay.

Other Problems:
    -Clipping, Clothing, & Materials: For some reason, clothing was not designed properly. Nearly every piece of clothing clips through other clothing. Pants cut through boots, shirts can be seen through belts and waistbands.
    Additionally, clothing does NOT fit the character. Belts and bandoliers hover about 2-3 inches off the body of the character, as if there is some anti-gravitation field around you. Shoulder pads seem to float magically upon you as well. Just about every regular piece of clothing (except the “sexy lady clothes”) is bulky & enormous. Even the plain white t-shirt seems to be made of cloth that is about 3 inches thick. Even the basic skirt makes your character’s hips look about 4 feet wide and chunky.
    There is also a surprisingly small amount of custom clothing available. This, combined with the fact that almost every piece of non-bondage clothing makes your character look like a fat oaf, makes the actual outfit choice and character customization quite limited and dull.
    -Soul Calibur 3 and 4 had excellent customization with many items, weapons, and much less clipping. If they could do it on PS2 and Xbox, they should be able to do it now.
    Character Customization – Fix Needed: You should be able to preview changes on the actual model before selecting the item; hovering over the item should apply it to your model as a preview.
    Menu & Story Navigation is Tedious & Bothersome: Story mode takes ages to navigate through page after page of single lines of text. Either introduce a “Skip” button, or put all of this information on 1-2 pages that we can read if we feel like it. Pressing a button 13 times just to get to the next fight is tedious and boring.
    Navigating through menus requires too much button pressing. Simple arrow keys work in most every other game. Almost everything in this game requires an arrow press, then “select,” then another arrow press, then “select.”
  40. Dec 1, 2018
    Pros:
    - Great single player experience with a custom made character.
    - Tons of customization options. - Combat & gameplay is great overall. - Biggest SoulCalibur in the franchize, it takes all the most beloved elements of the previous alterations - The Reboot brings back the most beloved characters. Cons: - Shady DLC practices - Reversal Edge takes too long to finish (should have
    Pros:
    - Great single player experience with a custom made character.
    - Tons of customization options.
    - Combat & gameplay is great overall.
    - The Reboot brings back the most beloved characters.

Cons:
    - Shady DLC practices
    - Reversal Edge takes too long to finish (should have just been a simple counter, like in DoA)
    - Boring OST

Flavor:
    - Fan service
    - Custom made characters with wrong frames can be played in ranked
    - The main story mode feels more like an RPG than a fighter.
  41. Nov 25, 2018
    Fun and easy to play, but story mode is huge disappointment, it has really boring plot. Characters coming with dlc? Great way to kill the game, GJ. Buy only if you have someone to play with and when it gets cheaper.
  42. Nov 14, 2018
    Fun game, a bit lacking in places but feel much closer to the series home than V did, the extra effort put into character customization is a welcome improvement
  43. Nov 22, 2018
    Soulcalibur VI is amazing. I paid $80 for the game and the season pass, and it's easily worth double that.

After playing this game for weeks, it has yet to fail me. The character customization is incredibly deep and gives you literally thousands of different options. These options may seem limited at first, but they expand as you go through the story modes. The action is very quick and responds exceptionally well. We have almost all of the community's favorite classic Soulcalibur characters, Seong Mi-na, Talim, Kilik, Nightmare, Ivy, Taki, Mitsurugi, Yoshimitsu, Voldo, Tira, Zasalamel, etc. One character that makes an appearance but sadly isn't playable yet is Hwang from Soulcalibur 1. I think he's a much better character than Yun Seong, but apparently less popular. However, his direct appearance and significant part he plays in story suggests that he'll come as a DLC character later (please, Namco, listen to your long-time fans).

The graphics are great. The stages are what Soulcalibur stages have always been. They hold true to the legacy, and stage awareness becomes a key component of battle. The gameplay is simple to understand, but difficult to master. Some characters are similar, like Kilik and Seong Mi-na or Seigfreid and Nightmare, but they have distinct differences that set them apart. The ultra-specials or as the game calls them "Critical Arts" are awesome looking for everyone in the roster.

The critical arts are awesome looking, but I also think they're one of the game's weaknesses. They're entirely too easy to pull off. All it takes is a press of the R2 button (or whatever button you have A+B+K mapped to) and one stock of meter. The good thing about them is that they can be guard impacted, so they're not invincible. Reversal Edge, which is a guard impact that can turn the tide of battle is far too easy to spam also. The good thing about it is that if people rely on it too much, they'll find that they soul crush themselves into defeat.

Now for some weaknesses. While the story itself is actually pretty good, the presentation is lacking at best. The repeated background drawings and hand drawn portraits of the characters don't do the characters justice. I get that the Soulcalibur budget was badly limited by the development hell that this game went through, but the Sega Dreamcast's presentation of Soulcalibur 1's story was better than this. Other than the presentation of the story, the only other real downside I see is that some of the characters need to be rebalanced. I already informed Namco of of this through email and they got back to me saying that they're looking into it for a future patch.

- Online Mode -
    I have very few problems with this game online. For the vast majority of the time, this game performs admirably in ranked and casual matches. Of course, there are a few hiccups every now and then, but I've only had 2 disconnects since launch and very few laggy matches.

The worst part of the online with this game is just like with any other online game: the players themselves can easily sap the life out of the community. I had one player that seemed to follow me from one room to another. Their connection was so bad, it caused everyone else to lag when they joined. After three rooms disbanded, I added that person to my PSN blocklist and things straightened out after that.

Overall, this game is astounding and it's easily the best 3D fighting game on PS4. If it's on your holiday shopping list, it's worth buying twice.
  44. Oct 23, 2018
    This entry to the franchise comes in mixed bag. Nowadays the fighting games make a lot of emphasis on solo campaigns, but here they're almost unplayable. They're dull and soulless (pound intended) and filled with box texts that you have to skip to get to play a match.

This has been actually the first time I contacted PSN to for a full refund, but apparently because I already played it, I'm stuck with it. If you're a diehard fan of this franchise then you'll probably enjoy it.

Having said that, its biggest redeeming quality is that, unlike Mortal Kombat, INJUSTICE, etc. it's quite easy to pick and play and feel like you're doing something without spending countless hours to try to master one single character.

Proceed with caution.
  45. Jan 17, 2019
    Woooo boy. I wanted to like this one because I had good memories of Soul Calibur 6 but man oh man did this one disappoint.

Wanna see everybody spam rock-paper-scissors QTEs repeatedly ad infinitum? Wanna see the same characters of Groh and Nightmare over and over again in matches? Wanna see the flow of combat grind to a complete halt everytime someone does a "flashy" move and everything stops so it can look like a movie? The base mechanics itself are okayish (but not balanced) but instead of making it better they just tacked on a bunch of "bling" to make it look good but really bring down the gameplay.

The main story mode is laughable and is only a retread of the original Soul Calibur. Sorry, but in the age of Injustice, Smash, and Guilty Gear, half-assed doesn't cut it anymore. Like really? Texts and terrible artwork for the majority of your cutscenes? And the main plot was Zzzzzzzzz boring with repeated cheesy but not funny lines and it barely incorporates the cast. Sure there's "side stories" but those were pretty mediocre as well. Why have us fighting mooks that don't even appear in the game? This is a fighting game, your plot should have reason for these characters to meet and duke it out more.

You'd think that character creation and the "Libra of Souls" mode would pick up alot of the slack here, but it doesn't. Don't get me wrong, it's fun to create and mess around with custom characters, but the mode that goes along with it is just boring. Everything again here is told through texts and portraits and you only get the meager offering of freedom with a good/evil character choice system and "exploration" that you have to pay money to even go to side missions. Just be sure to do that when the main campaign's path is near them because you can get ambushed by significantly higher leveled AI that will waste your money if you lose.

All in all, SC6 is a let down and in this hypercompetitive fighting game market, you can do far better.
  46. Nov 28, 2018
    I've been playing since soul edge on ps1, big fan of the franchise, I followed his growth up to SC3 and its degradation up to SC5.
    Well, in SC6 we got Libra of Souls with RPG elements (Injustice 2 have a much better gear system) and individual stories... character creation it's almost the same from SC5, the online multiplayer its literally breaked.
    Graphics are poor, the character
    Graphics are poor, the character design its a lot better than the previus titles, the stages can be more alive like in 2B one, with people and animals, OST its OK, congrats for Geralt and 2B guest character, great choice, the animation and movement continues to be an example for other fighting games.
    So Nanco, we got a better game from the previous one, but thats its your obligation, so listen to us, we love this franchise and we want a wonderful SC7
  47. Feb 19, 2019
    So this is my first Metacritic review but I thought I must express my opinion about this game.
    I've been SC fan since Soul Edge times, I played every single part and I've seen how it evolves and degrades. And I can say one thing.
    This is the worst entry in series. Pros Iconic Characters Great Music Some interesting new battle mechanics. Azwel is a good character Negatives

This is the worst entry in series.

Pros
    Iconic Characters
    Great Music
    Some interesting new battle mechanics.
    Azwel is a good character

Negatives
    Groh is like a guest anime character that doesn't fit.
    Lack of Arena variety
    The story isn't very interesting.
    Balance issues.
    Insane overthetop moveset from Groh, 2B,Azwel, Ivy
    Spam and juggles.

So i'm not going to write much about the story and lack of content this entry was very limited with budget and I guess developers did what they could. But I want to talk about balance issues I encountered so far.

I used to play Tekken a lot, and this SC is easily comparable to it, entire juggling game is just the worst in this series basically one wrong turn or step and you are stunned and juggled for half of your health. In every other SC games you could either try to shake it off quickly or you could fly in air to avoid getting murdered, here its barely possible on verge of impossible.

Online is full with people who play Siegfried, Seung Mina, Ivy, Nightmare, Groh. And those players use same tactics over and over, you are unable to escape them if you get caught. Some characters can teleport around and know all your health in 1 2 button presses, or some throw you around so much you will get up to 20 hits without being able to do anything. Once you land they will try to catch you again somehow and use exact same combo which will lead to your death. Basically, all online matches are the same because people are concentrating on same broken tactics, yes they can be countered but if you make 1 mistake people will do them again. Leading to most online matches being uneventful and same you get caught you die, unlike in previous entries where you could control your air game and you are forced to mix your tactics.

Characters like Siegfried and Nightmare have some interesting blocks where you get punished for attacking them, and well its spammable and unavoidable. Basically, you get punished for attacking enemy, with a single button press from them, Or characters like ivy can use a grab teleport attack that will get you and send you flying far away with a nice chance of Ring Out.

I play Raphael and my ulti takes around 30-40% damage which makes it very useless in the long run, and in comparison to other characters who deal around 50-60% It really doesn't do any difference in comparison to them.

Characters like Azwel, Groh,2B are also quite bizarre because they add some magical mystery element to the game. They fly around, they teleport, they have insanely long range attacks that take over whole map. 2B is flying around like Alisa in Tekken, shoots you with lasers or hits you with massive swords.Groh teleports around, has A+B combos that take 50% of your health, basically without any effort.

So if you like Tekken you will like SC... if you never liked Tekken and preferred SC. You will be very disappointed in this entry. The future looks grim.
  48. Mar 13, 2019
    I've been a hardcore Soul Calibur player since SC2. This is easily the worst one. The developers nerfed the main characters into an oblivion under an endless barrage of tweaks, added stupid game mechanics like ultras, a super charged transformation for each character, and a rock-paper-scissors reversal mechanic. Utter garbage. Furthermore, it's an incomplete product. The hit boxes on thisI've been a hardcore Soul Calibur player since SC2. This is easily the worst one. The developers nerfed the main characters into an oblivion under an endless barrage of tweaks, added stupid game mechanics like ultras, a super charged transformation for each character, and a rock-paper-scissors reversal mechanic. Utter garbage. Furthermore, it's an incomplete product. The hit boxes on this game are laughable. Very poorly done. Do NOT buy this. Expand
  49. Mar 18, 2019
    SoulCalibur 6 was the first game I've ever played from the series and I must say I am very impressed! The graphics are solid and the music soundtrack is excellent. The fighting mechanics are smooth, fluid, and very accessible to newcomers. The character roster is also excellent.

The Arcade and Libra of Soul single player modes are fun and addictive. The customizations options are deep and allows you to create some very interesting characters. The MP is good but the matchmaking can use some work.

SoulCalibur 6 definitely surprised me with its addictive gameplay and deep customization options. I will be playing this game for a long time. Excellent job Bandai Namco!
  50. Apr 6, 2019
    I have been playing this franchise since the beginning and SC6 is a good game. The only reason I didn't give it a 9 or 10 is that arcade mode does not have endings for each individual character. They do have two other story modes but I prefer to beat the game with each character to learn his/her fate in a movie.
  51. Nov 16, 2018
    soul calibur 6 es tan bueno como los primeros soul calibur ni mas ni menos. No entiendo bien porque tantos palos contra el juego.
    algunos comentarios dicen mucho del tipo de usuario que los hace
    no se an dedicado a jugar bien el juego ni entender sus mecanicas la accion de piedra papel o tijeras no es aleatoria, es una accion defensiva o de contrataque a la que se debe saber reaccionar
    algunos comentarios dicen mucho del tipo de usuario que los hace
    no se an dedicado a jugar bien el juego ni entender sus mecanicas
    la accion de piedra papel o tijeras no es aleatoria, es una accion defensiva o de contrataque a la que se debe saber reaccionar poniendo atencion al movimiento del oponente ya que es un arma de doble filo.
    geralt solo es el jefe del modo arcade en el modo normal, depende la dificultad y los encuentros cambian.

Eso si, hay que considerar que no es una produccion que deba considerarse AAA actualmente por terminar convertido en un juego muy de nicho con el tiempo, frente a otros titanes en el genero.
    No es un juego perfecto y tiene sus fallas, siertos tiempos de carga extraños en el modo historia y el clipping de la ropa en el modo edicion y que el online es sencillo. pero son defectos menores en contra parte a la profundidad jugable y diversion que da el titulo por si mismo.
    la creacion de personajes aunque imperfecta, es muy divertida y a dejado ver autenticas joyas creadas por la comunidad, basta con buscar en youtube , encontraras cientos de videos de gente disfrutando de esta caracteristica.
    este juego es una experiencia arcade pura y dura, quizas esta gente estaba buscando un juego que les de gratificacion inmediata sin tener una curva de aprendisaje , querian uno con un multijugador mas dedicado con poco juego de verdad en medio :/
    dicho esto que el juego tenga una nota de los usuarios por debajo del 5 es una verguenza
    debajo del 6 es una nota reservada solo para juegos que se caen a trozos y este no es el caso.
  52. Apr 15, 2019
    Finally soulcalibur returns the game had low budget so yes it has it is flaws but the gameplay is fun and easy learning curve good characters returns,good Guest Geralt and 2B offline content is missing some modes but online is fun and addictive enough.

1. Mar 6, 2019
    Precise and dynamic fighting system, great looking maps and characters, and the best customization system in any fighting game to date.
  2. Jan 22, 2019
    When I’m up against players at a similar skill level and we’re all using the default characters, Soulcalibur VI can be a beautiful dance between players who are one with their weapons. This is a rare occasion, though. More often, I’m stuck trying to fend off oversized custom characters spamming Reversal Edge. With so many people killing what could be a good time online, I think I’ll stick to Tekken to get my fighting game fix.
  3. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Dec 31, 2018
    A packed fighter with gaming mechanics you’ll enjoy after the initial ten punches. Full of cinematic effects, cliches, big biceps, huge boobs and giant swords. [Issue#290]