8.3

1. Feb 20, 2019
    An interesting (if not funny) concept, but the controls are not customizable to each player's likening and the concept of attacking other players is too confusing for a game so fast-paced. If the controls were more playable and more satisfying, maybe I could get past the player interaction problem.
  2. Mar 17, 2019
    I would say that this game has a pretty fun idea at best but it works much better on paper than in reality.

I would like to start with the most basic thing, controls. The controls are fine, I can do fine with using a d-pad to move, but that is pretty much the only control method available. What about the people that would like to use the Joystick to move? That just isn't possible at least when I'm writing this and I doubt they will change this. The only controls you can change are the most useless ones, who you want to target. When you first start in this game, you probably won't be using these controls very much. By the time you learn how to use them effectively, there is no reason to swap the joystick controls. I only touch one joystick at the beginning of the game and then play tetris.

Second, I would like to tell you how luck based the game is. Yes, you do have to have a basic understanding of tetris to play, and you have to be good at it, trust me, but after that it depends on if you are getting targeted by 0 or 5 people, let alone if 1 or 2 of them are gods at tertis. This has no skill involved and is just about being lucky. One time I got into a game and, no joke, got 3 tetrises sent my way within the first 30 second. How am I supposed to counteract that. Oh yeah, I can't.

Finally, I want to talk about something that I don't fully understand withing the game. For the different tactics you can you to determine who you are sending lines to, the options being Random, KO, Badges, and Attackers, I want to talk about specifically how KO works. I have 2 theories on how this works, and they are both pretty sketchy. Either 1. It puts you against lo levels players, so basically a noob targeter, or people who are not doing so well with their boards, essentially making those people unable to come back.

I have had fun times with this game, but I have had many many more horrible times because I simply couldn't compete against 4 people at once.
  3. Mar 13, 2019
    You would think tetris would be hard to screw up, buy somehow they managed to.

The gameplay idea is a good one, i enjoy battle tetris. But the game suffers from some pretty piss poor design choices. There is no tutorial, and no training mode to get used to the controls. The controls are HORRIBLE, this would not be an issue if we could set them how we like, but we cannot do that,
    You would think tetris would be hard to screw up, buy somehow they managed to.

The gameplay idea is a good one, i enjoy battle tetris.
    But the game suffers from some pretty piss poor design choices.

There is no tutorial, and no training mode to get used to the controls.

The controls are HORRIBLE, this would not be an issue if we could set them how we like, but we cannot do that, the controls we are forced to use, they simply are clunky, i play tetris pretty well, i am no grand master, but the controls on offer make me look like i have never touched a tetris game before in my life.

I would much prefer to be able to move the block with one joy stick, and rotate and drop with the dpad.
    on a single joycon.
    use the bumpers to cycle targeting.

but no i am forced to use the ass backwards controls they force on us.
    All you change is what joy stick is the one for targeting.

I know the games free for subbed users, but really its just lazy.
  4. May 18, 2019
    Absolute garbage unless you enjoy games that last all of 30 seconds. Constantly getting ganged up on by players 50+ levels higher than me making learning and improving near impossible. Also the interface and music are more annoying than anything plus there's no instructions of any kind. Maybe if you're someone who's played tetris daily for 10 years it's fun but any casual player shouldAbsolute garbage unless you enjoy games that last all of 30 seconds. Constantly getting ganged up on by players 50+ levels higher than me making learning and improving near impossible. Also the interface and music are more annoying than anything plus there's no instructions of any kind. Maybe if you're someone who's played tetris daily for 10 years it's fun but any casual player should give it a hard pass. Expand

1. Jun 9, 2019
    If you’re after a royale-y good time you should look much farther than Tetris 99.
  2. May 23, 2019
    This is what Nintendo need to keep on doing to ensure subscription to Nintendo Switch Online stays worthwhile, however, this is just Tetris with a very addictive online element, and can quickly wane once the initial honeymoon period is over. Those who really enjoy basic Tetris will be right at home with this iteration. It is fast, frantic and somewhat unpredictable gameplay is what makes it so addictive in the first place - for others, the repetition might kick in after some time.
  3. Mar 25, 2019
    Barebones and no-frills it may be, but Tetris 99 is the best playing Tetris game in years and ultimately well worth downloading if you’re a Nintendo Switch Online subscriber.