|Man, this shit's unflattering, all up in my head again I don't feel myself right now, maybe I should just lay down If vanity's my vitamin, well, I...||See the rest of the song lyrics|
Mar 8, 2019For all the biographical sincerity, Morris’s songs about unfettered good times feel unconvincing. Morris has a compellingly hardbitten voice that’s wasted on the boozy camaraderie of All My Favourite People and the blown-out Flavour, not to mention the twee, plinky-plonky A Song for Everything, which strings together nostalgic tropes to push cheap emotional buttons.
Mar 9, 2019Dei 10 só para balancear a nota, várias pessoas revoltadas só porque não é um álbum inteiramente country, O disco tem country, r&b, dance eDei 10 só para balancear a nota, várias pessoas revoltadas só porque não é um álbum inteiramente country, O disco tem country, r&b, dance e pop muito misturados, o problema nem foi essa mistura, mas sim a decepção se compararmos com o potencial da Mare.… Expand
Mar 12, 2019While comparisons are obviously going to be made to Maren's first album Hero, I find this album to be better, more refined sound andWhile comparisons are obviously going to be made to Maren's first album Hero, I find this album to be better, more refined sound and production. If you embrace Maren's pop-country styling, there is a lot to like here. Several tracks like The Feels, Common, and Gold Love lean toward adult contemporary. Tracks like RSVP & The Bones have a R&B flavor, while GIRL and All My Favorite People lean towards a more guitar heavy/pop-rock sound. While there may be a lack of a defining theme running throughout, the album as a whole is very good. There is a little something for everyone, and while first listen may tend to throw listeners off while trying to it compare to Hero, after a second or third listen, many of the tracks start to shine.… Expand
Mar 9, 2019This record is a little bit all over the place in terms of musical styling. There's a bit of r&b, dance pop, southern rock, piano ballads..This record is a little bit all over the place in terms of musical styling. There's a bit of r&b, dance pop, southern rock, piano ballads.. not so much country, however. If I were critiquing this as a country record, per it's categorization, I'd give it one star because she used steel guitar in To Hell and Back. That's about all the country you'll find on this record. But let's look at this as a pop record:
- GIRL - the debut single lowered my expectations for this record. It's not a bad song, but the constant switching of perspective throughout the song make it a jarring listen. The production could also be dialled down slightly to make this better. - 5/10
- The Feels - sounds like it was written to be the background music a 12 year old's sleepover party. The bridge feels like unnecessary filler. - 3/10
- All My Favorite People - I rate this fairly high on the list of top songs on the record. This is a southern rock jam with some amazing guitar riffs. - 6.5/10
- A Song For Everything - This song sounds exactly like another song I've heard before, but can't put my finger on it. It's a pleasant listen regardless and I enjoy the message of the song - if music plays an important role in all aspects of your life, you'll enjoy this. - 7/10
- Common - This is possibly the strongest song on the record. Loved it as a pre-release and I think their voices sound great together. Hope to see more collaborations between them in future - 8.5/10
- Flavor - I couldn't make it through the whole song. I appreciate the sentiment, but it feels like a 'Hero' reject. 2.5/10
- Make Out With Me - this seems to be a critic favorite but I couldn't get into it. The production bothers me & the voice over at the start of the track almost made it an automatic skip. 4/10
- Gold Love - Enjoyed the verses, disliked the chorus, hated the bridge. This was a pleasant r&b/pop blend until the bridge kicked in. 4/10
- Great Ones - One of the better tracks on the record and a decently written love song. I enjoyed the guitar riffs & production on this one too. - 6.5/10
- RSVP - Possibly the worst song on the record. The production is what makes this painful to listen to, but the lyrics don't help. This is a skip. - 2/10
- To Hell & Back - This starts off with steel guitar & piano and had me instantly intrigued. It's an easy listening, country-influenced pop song. I appreciate the dialled down production on this one because it lets the story drive the song - this is what makes this song the most country song on the record. - 7/10
- The Bones - I enjoyed this as a pre-release and I can see this one growing on me. This is r&b influenced pop. Possibly one of her best vocal moments on the record. - 6.5/10
- Good Woman - I thought this song had potential to be a strong power ballad, but it just didn't really go anywhere vocally. 5/10
- Shade - better writing on this track, however it does become cheesy in the chorus. Again the production is distracting from the lyrics. 4.5/10
I think some of these songs may fare well as mainstream radio crossovers, but there's not much that has a place on country radio where it is being pushed. I don't feel like the overall writing on this is very strong, but the production is awfully distracting and a little overdone across the board and takes our attention away from the lyrics. I think The Guardian critic review hit the nail on the head.
Overall album rating = 4/10… Expand
Mar 8, 2019Maren is immensely talented, there is no question, but compared to HERO this was a disappointment. Even more disappointing is labeling this aMaren is immensely talented, there is no question, but compared to HERO this was a disappointment. Even more disappointing is labeling this a country record. Call it like it is. It's pop. Which is fine, just own it. If you look at it as a pop record, it's probably fine, but I expected better songwriting and less **** production. For the most part it seems forgettable.… Expand
Mar 8, 2019I'll echo the sentiments of others here. It's very concerning that this is being advertised as a country album when it is anything but that.I'll echo the sentiments of others here. It's very concerning that this is being advertised as a country album when it is anything but that. Some songs are fairly decent pop songs, but overall the production and weak lyrics make this an average at best release from Maren, who has the vocal chops and talent to do much better.
For an artist whose personal branding is built around calling it like it is, and owning who you are, it's confusing to me that she wouldn't take that same approach when it comes to marketing her music. There's a disconnect there, and it does no favors for her authenticity as an artist.… Expand
Mar 8, 2019As a country fan, it is wildly disappointing to see this marketed as a country record, when songs on this record span just about every genreAs a country fan, it is wildly disappointing to see this marketed as a country record, when songs on this record span just about every genre except country.
Her debut 'Hero' was boundary pushing pop-country that sat perfectly on the line between pop and country, and this sophomore album was highly anticipated with many curious to see which direction she would go, and whether she could recreate the same magic that won hearts with 'Hero'. Unfortunately for country fans, instead of finding that balance again, Maren has crossed the line into pop territory completely with 'GIRL'.
I see this record being very polarizing - diehard fans of Maren will enjoy this record regardless of the genre it falls into, despite it not even being particularly great pop music. However, for fans of the country genre and its unique qualities and traditions, this record is a miss.
Sadly due to "stan" culture these days we'll see Maren get a free pass for marketing a blatantly pop record as country, and the country radio airwaves will continue to be clogged with pop music as others follow her lead, while hard-working artists making real country music will continue struggling to be heard.
2/10 because I enjoyed the collaboration with Brandi Carlile… Expand
Mar 8, 2019Disappointing. A mediocre, over-produced pop record that has drunkenly stumbled into the 'country' category on iTunes. Someone hail thisDisappointing. A mediocre, over-produced pop record that has drunkenly stumbled into the 'country' category on iTunes. Someone hail this record a cab outta here.… Expand
|The Beatles [White Album] [50th Anniversary Super Deluxe Edition] - The Beatles|
|Psychodrama - Dave|
|Electric Ladyland [50th Anniversary Deluxe Edition] - The Jimi Hendrix Experience|
|Imagine: The Ultimate Collection [Box Set] - John Lennon|
|...And Justice for All [30th Anniversary Expanded Edition] - Metallica|
|Grey Area - Little Simz|
|Socks - JD McPherson|
|More Blood, More Tracks: The Bootleg Series, Vol. 14 - Bob Dylan|
|Holy Hell - Architects|
|Honey - Robyn|
|Chris - Christine and the Queens|
|Kankyō Ongaku: Japanese Ambient, Environmental & New Age Music 1980-1990 - Various Artists|
|El Mal Querer - Rosalía|
|When I Get Home - Solange|
|I Loved You at Your Darkest - Behemoth|
|Negative Capability - Marianne Faithfull|
|Cocoon Crush - Objekt|
|You Won't Get What You Want - Daughters|
|Beggars Banquet [50th Anniversary Edition] - The Rolling Stones|
|Springsteen on Broadway - Bruce Springsteen|